The lighthouse in Albir is a singular, historic building located at an altitude of 112 metres above sea level, built in 1863 to mark the northernmost point of Serra Gelada. To get there, it was necessary to walk along a narrow and dangerous trail along the mountain range´s sheer slope. The present path to Albir´s lighthouse was built in 1961 and was asphalted in 1963. The building was occupied by two lighthouse keepers and their families until 1960 when the lighthouse was automated, making obsolete the constant presence of a technician there. Even though its light has never stopped shining, the lack of maintenance caused the gradual deterioration of the structure, until 2011 when is was renovated and became an Interpretation Centre. Part of the building is used as a Museum, with an exhibition room on maritime culture, the environment and the surrounding natural park. Presently, Albir lighthouse is the only of its kind in the Valencian Community with a shared use, as a maritime beacon and as a cultural centre.
Since 2013 it has been recognised as a Blue Centre, a symbol of quality, good management and excellence.