A small mine that operated since the mid 19th century until the beginning of the 20th century. The ruins there were the foreman´s house and other mining facilities. The row of columns that go down the ravine supported the wagon rails that took the ore down to the shore. Once there, the ochre was loaded onto boats that would take it to a ship anchored in the bay.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the mine was run by the Soler-Devesa family from l´Alfàs who have “la mina” nickname even today. The foreman was Miguel Soler Devesa who, in 1888, emigrated to Algeria, leaving his wife Esperanza behind in charge of the workers. The ochre was a mix of clay with oxide or iron hydroxide that was used as a colour dye for paint since prehistoric times. The Virgen del Carmen mine in Serra Gelada hides many stories of the people that lived and worked there, running this small mine.